Zermatt is located at the foot of the Matterhorn in the Swiss Alps in Switzerland. Its location, in the center of 38 peaks towering over 3,800 meters, makes Zermatt one of the most popular ski resorts in Europe. As a small alpine village of about 8,000 inhabitants, Zermatt hosts more than 30,000 guests during the peak winter ski season. Skiers from around the world love Zermatt Switzerland as do other winter sports enthusiasts such as snow boarders, ice skaters and mountain climbers. However, winter is not the only time Zermatt is filled with tourists. The summer months are a busy time as travelers from around the world descend on this alpine paradise to enjoy summer sports such as river rafting, hiking, mountain biking and paragliding. Zermatt Switzerland has a lot to offer as a premier European ski resort. If we had to choose our favorite reasons why we love Zermatt we would have to begin with its most famous “face” – – the Matterhorn.
- Matterhorn – The Matterhorn is probably the most recognizable mounting in the world because of its shape. The natural shape of the Matterhorn is close to a pyramid with four distinct faces. The Matterhorn looms over Zermatt and provides the village with a spectacular backdrop.
- No cars – Zermatt is a “car-free” town. The only vehicles allowed in the town are a few electric cars and horse-drawn carriages. Enjoy the crisp, clean mountain air every time you step out onto the cobblestoned streets of the village. Without the noise and traffic of other Swiss towns, Zermatt has a carefree, relaxed atmosphere that you can feel as soon as you arrive.
- Year–round skiing – We love that we can visit Zermatt any time of year and find great skiing conditions. Even during the summer months, avid skiers will find challenging runs and great snow conditions in the higher elevations.
- Wellness center – In addition to being a world-class Swiss Alps ski resort, Zermatt is also known as one of Switzerland’s best wellness retreats. Spas located in Zermatt hotels throughout the city offer special body and face treatments that are intended to relax, heal and rejuvenate both body and soul.
- Fine dining – The choice of dining in Zermatt ranges from rowdy pubs and quiet cafés to fine dining and authentic mountain cuisine. The culinary experience in Zermatt is not to be overlooked when listing the accomplishments of this tiny alpine community. Renowned chefs create works of art on plates served to eager customers each day from the village below to high atop the mountain peaks.
- Crystal clear water – Because of the natural springs surrounding Zermatt, the village is 100% self-sufficient when it comes to healthy drinking water. There is no need to request bottled water when you have such an abundance of clean, clear mountain water to drink.
- Hiking – Like skiing, you can hike year round in Zermatt. Zermatt has well-maintained and marked hiking trails that are open in both summer and winter. Since there are about 50 mountain lakes around Zermatt, it is always easy to find a great picnic spot with a breathtaking view of the mountains and meadows.
There are so many more reasons to love Zermatt Switzerland that we can never list them all in one article. However, one more reason to love Zermatt is the great accommodations available. Check our hotels page for the best travel deals on all Zermatt hotels.Google+