Zermatt is a great place to visit during the winter, but it is not just to ski that people visit the lovely Italian ski town, and it is not just during the winter months either. In fact, a number of visitors come here specifically to participate in or to attend one of the many great events held in Zermatt, of which there are number that are held at different times of the year. While many people plan to visit Zermatt when one of these events are being held, others are simply lucky enough to be there when they take place. Either way, whether you already have your Zermatt trip booked, or you are still in the planning stages, you can surely benefit by knowing about some of the most popular events held in the town during the year. There are a few in particular that will provide you with a unique experience during your stay in Zermatt Switzerland.
- The Folklore Festival – The annual Folklore Festival is held in August during the second week. The festival includes a huge parade that features musicians and yodelers, as well as more than a thousand dancers.
- The Zermatt Marathon – The Swiss Alps that call Zermatt home are good for more than skiing, and offer beautiful scenery during warmer months. What better place for a marathon to be held? The marathon covers the areas between St. Niklaus and Riffelberg.
- The Swiss Food Festival – The Swiss Food Festival features local and regional food products available for visitors to the festival to try. There are a number of restaurants and hotels that participate in the festival, which lasts an entire weekend in August.
- Zermatt Unplugged – Zermatt Unplugged is an acoustic music festival that has been taking place in April for the last five years. There are numerous stages set up throughout the town, where a variety of bands and musicians perform.
- The Swiss National Holiday – The Swiss National Day holiday celebration is something to be experienced as well. It takes place on August 1every year, with the celebration program varying each year. Every year the highlight of the celebration is the fireworks display that signals the end of the celebration.
Even if there is not an event taking place while you are in Zermatt you will surely find something to do, but your stay will be even more fun if you have the opportunity to attend one of these great events.Google+